The subject of my latest article for Forbes.com is what CEOs should study outside of traditional business education that will help them succeed on the job. I started this blog because I believe there is a lack of training and development to help people prepare for the specific challenges of the CEO role. I think focused study and practice in these five areas will better equip people to handle the job and succeed:
- Emotional intelligence: Being in tune with your emotions and those of others
- Communication skills: The chief executive officer of today must also be the chief executive storyteller
- Game theory: The study of strategic decision-making
- History: Learn from the past and draw parallels to the present/future
- Organizational development: Building great teams is key to a CEO’s success
Check them out along with the resources I share and let me know what you think. What areas would you add that are not covered in a traditional business education?