I recently published an article on Inc.com about “The 5 Characteristics of an Effective Business Metric.
Category Archives: Company goals
We are doing a disservice to our future leaders: We grade them in school almost exclusively on their individual efforts, and then in the workplace we judge them almost exclusively on their ability to build and influence teams.
Logo of Google’s new holding company Alphabet
Late last month I posted an article on this blog titled “Why You Can’t Run Your Company Like Google.
Google’s Eric, Larry and Sergey in a self-driving car; January 20, 2011
I think we all know that Google is an outlier in business, but we can’t help comparing ourselves to them.
What’s the top challenge of CEOs? Employee alignment, according to many I speak with all over the country. Making sure each employee understands the company’s strategic objectives and is continually working towards them is critical.
Some CEOs and leaders avoid bureaucracy as too stifling, but are flatter hierarchies necessarily better?
Here are my top 10 most viewed posts of 2014 concerning all things CEO – from hiring to managing the board to failing by having a best buddy and more.
How did former Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels turn a $600 million budget deficit into a multibillion-dollar budget surplus, cut property taxes, and improve services across the state? It was all about goals, metrics and accountability.
I wrote this article for Fast Company to give employees at all levels a process for linking their goals to the corporate business objectives and making themselves more valuable as a result.
- Numbers Don't Drive Businesses, People Do
- CEO Genome Project: What Constitutes a High-Performing CEO Part 2
- CEO Genome Project: What Constitutes a High-Performing CEO Part 1
- Being a Second CEO
- CEO Interview: Chuck Runyon, Anytime Fitness
- CEO Leadership: Break Down Bureaucratic Barriers
- CEO Interview: Dave O’Flanagan, Boxever
- Product Manager: A CEOs Best Training Ground
- New Rule: Act Quickly on Job Referrals
- CEO Interview: Phil Friedman, CGS