I understand the appeal of looking for job candidates who have done the job before, but a “been there done that” approach to hiring often leads to less than optimal results.
Category Archives: Recruitment
How much does a bad hire cost companies? It’s more than just money according to this infographic by Mindflash. Hiring the wrong person also causes lost time, productivity, and morale.
Starting April 4, I am teaching my CEO class again in conjunction with the Rice Alliance Austin Chapter and the Austin Technology Council.
Excellent article based on the new book by Ben Horowitz.
Guest post by Veena Vadgama, Vice President of Marketing for Network Instruments
Making a decision to reduce headcount or shut down operations is a scenario no CEO ever wants to face.
In case you missed them, here are my most-viewed blog posts of 2013:
Support oddballs in your company culture
I was recently reminded of how important a single personnel decision can be. I traveled to San Francisco to make a presentation on behalf of a non-profit organization I’ve worked with for a couple of years.
I just published the second article for this series in my Forbes column: The Resource Allocation Dilemma Faced By CEOs Every Single Day.
Open-plan offices make employees less productive, less happy, and more likely to get sick
Earlier this week I published a post asking “Are your employees misaligned?” where I cited a story about our acquiring company plucking software dev
- Citrix CEO Leads Business Model Pivot (Part 1)
- Fake It Until You Make It? Not for CEOs
- How to Approach the CEO’s First 100 Days
- Why CEOs Have a 24x7 Job
- 4 Reasons to Resuscitate Your Org Chart
- Successful Exit: 4 Things Most Startups Ignore
- How to Overcome Your Company’s Lame Goals Management System
- 6 Ways to Make a Successful CEO Transition
- 4 Imperatives to Prep Your Team for a New Hire
- CEO Interview: Corey Thomas, Rapid7